Document Type : Original Research Paper

Authors

1 University of Ghana

2 Department of Earth Science, School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, University of Ghana

10.22044/jme.2024.13636.2519

Abstract

This study was set out to delineate prospective zones of gold mineralization occurrence over the Julie tenement of Northwestern Ghana using two spatial statistical techniques, namely information value (IV) and weight of evidence (WofE) models. First, 110 locations, where gold (Au) mineralization has been observed, were identified by field survey results derived from highly anomalous geo-chemical assay datasets. Of these 110 locations, 77 (representing 70% of the known locations, where gold has been observed) were randomly selected for training the aforementioned models, and the remaining 33 (analogous to 30% of the known Au occurrence) were used for validation. Secondly, eleven mineral conditioning factors (evidential layers) comprising analytic signal, reduction-to-equator (RTE), lineament density (LD), porphyry density, potassium concentration, thorium concentration, uranium concentration, potassium-thorium ratio, uranium-thorium ratio, geology, and arsenic concentration layers were sourced from geo-physical, geological, and geo-chemical datasets. Subsequently, by synthesizing these eleven evidential layers using the two spatial statistical techniques, two mineral prospectivity models were created in a geographic information system (GIS) environment. Finally, the mineral prospectivity models produced were validated using the area under the receiver operating characteristics curve (AUC). The results obtained showed that the IV model produced had a higher prediction accuracy in comparison with the mineral predictive model produced by the WofE with their AUC scores being 0.751 and 0.743, respectively.

Keywords

Main Subjects